Gas talks overnight between Ukraine‘s state energy firm Naftogaz and Russia’s gas export monopoly, Gazprom, ended with no concrete results, the head of Naftogaz was quoted as saying on Thursday.
Interfax-Ukraine quoted Naftogaz chief Oleh Dubyna as saying the talks in Moscow with Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller ended without result but that they would be continued.
Above: Austria’s OMV gas refinery — one of Europe’s largest — has seen its deliveries from Russia cut.
The news agency also quoted Dubyna as saying that three-way talks in Brussels, involving the European Union, had been canceled at the behest of the Russian side.
(Reporting from Reuters by Yuri Kulikov, writing by Guy Faulconbridge and Sabina Zawadzki; Editing by Christian Lowe)
From the BBC
Some EU states are getting no gas at all or have seen supplies sharply cut.
Ukraine denies Russian accusations that it is stealing gas passing through export pipelines on its territory.
Russia cut gas to Ukraine itself a week ago as a row over allegedly unpaid bills escalated.
Read the rest:
Oleh Dubyna, the chief executive of Ukraine’s Naftogaz, told Russia’s Interfax news agency that the Thursday meeting in Brussels between himself, the European Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs and Gazprom boss Alexey Miller had been cancelled by the Russians.
Dubyna said talks would, however, continue in Moscow.
“What matters most now is to restart gas shipments to Ukraine,” he said.
General view of Russian gas monopoly Gazprom’s headquarters in Moscow, January 6, 2009. Gazprom said on Tuesday it had supplied around 65 million cubic metres of gas to Europe via Ukraine on Tuesday, compared with around 300 mcm in previous days.REUTERS/Alexander Natruskin (RUSSIA)