As dark fell in Gaza this Wenesday, January 7, 2009, day 12 of the Israeli action called Cast Lead, fighting resumed between Hamas and Israeli forces in Gaza….
During the 1 PM to 4 PM humanitarian re-supply, Hamas attacked Israelis who responded.
But the day was significant still for the first stop in active combat with a three hour “time out” to allow humanitarian supplies into Gaza.
U.N. Relief and Works Agency spokesman Chris Gunness said a three-hour truce is just not enough to alleviate the “deepening humanitarian crisis” in Gaza. He wanted a longer, daily reprieve.
“We are feeding 750,000 (people) on a permanent basis,” Gunness said. “More than three hours a day are needed for that.”
Israeli Defense Ministry spokesman Peter Lerner said three hours will have to be enough for now, and probably only every second day.
“We need to build on this three-hour window; we need to expand that window and let it lead to a permanent cease-fire,” Gunness said.
Israel agreed on Wednesday to send two diplomats to Cairo for cease fire planning.
Amos Gilad of the Defense Ministry and Shalom Turgeman, a political adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert could travel to the Egyptian capital as early as Thursday.
French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said that France is getting “very positive signals from the region” about the cease fire plan.
The plan is being put forward by France, Egypt and Turkey.
When asked about the plan, France’s President Sarkozy said “acceptance” by Israel and the Palestinian Authority. He did not mention Hamas or define further the state of agreement.
The Palestinian Authority said it supported the plan but Hamas remains “not totally engaged” according to one observer in the discussions.
Mark Regev, the Israeli spokesman sid, “Hamas cannot be allowed to rearm”
He said, “Isreal appreciates the ideas of the french President but often the devil is in the details.”
He said Israel is weakening Hamas but Hamas remains in control of the Gaza Strip and the group remains a threat to Israel….
Threats against Israel continued with a verbal attack from Hezbollah, Irael’s foe in battle in 2006.
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah said Wednesday “all possibilities” are open against Israel and warned the Jewish state’s 2006 war with his party would resemble “a walk in the park” in the event of renewed conflict.
“We have to act as though all possibilities are real and open (against Israel) and we must always be ready for any eventuality,” said Nasrallah, whose Shiite militant party is backed by Syria and Iran.
Tens of thousands of Hezbollah supporters marched in support of Hamas today in Beirut. They loudly protested the Israeli attack on Gaza.
From Peace and Freedom
Lebanese leftists burn effigies representing Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak (L) and Israel’s Defence Minister Ehud Barak during a protest in front of the Egyptian embassy in Beirut, against Israel’s attacks on Gaza January 7, 2009.REUTERS/Ali Hashisho (LEBANON)
AFP report on Hezbollah:
Read the CNN report:
The New York Times had this to report:
The day after Israeli mortar shells killed as many as 40 Palestinians, among them women and children, outside a United Nations school in Gaza, diplomatic efforts to bring the fighting to a halt intensified. France and Egypt and Turkey were working on a plan that would work to halt rocket fire from Gaza into Israel, open up crossings into Gaza from both Israel and Egypt, and end weapons smuggling from Egypt. The French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, said the cease-fire plan had been agreed on, but Israel and Hamas both said that there were many details to be worked out. Israel was due to send officials to Cairo for further discussions.
Read the rest: