A local distributor of a popular brand ofsaid Monday it had suspended sales of the product following reports that dogs who ate it died from poisoning.
China‘s recent food safety scandals have centered on locally made products; this time it wasn’t immediately clear whether the product was locally made or imported.
By ELAINE KURTENBACH, Associated Press Writer
A customer service manager at Shanghai Yidi Pet Co. said the company stopped selling Optima brand dog food last week following reports that more than a dozen dogs who ate it had died from aflatoxin poisoning.
“It’s upsetting to see so many dogs getting sick from the food,” said Gu, who gave only his last name as is common with many media-shy Chinese.
A report Monday in the Shanghai Daily newspaper said at least 20 dogs in four Chinese cities, including Beijing, had died since the end of November from liver complications from aflatoxin, a naturally occurring chemical from a fungus sometimes found on corn and other crops.
It wasn’t clear who makes the Optima brand involved in the complaints.