Palestinian militants agreed Sunday to a one-week cease-fire against Israel, according to Hamas spokesman Ayman Taha.
The announcement, 12 hours after Israel declared its own cease-fire, came after a flurry of rocket launches.
“Hamas and the factions announce a ceasefire in Gaza starting immediately and give Israel a week to withdraw,” said Ayman Taha, a Hamas official in Cairo for talks with Egypt on a truce deal.
The ‘s Daoud Shihab, says other, smaller, have also agreed to join the truce. There has been no immediate response from Israel.
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said earlier that if a ceasefire held in the Hamas-ruled enclave, Israel could start the process of withdrawing its forces.
Shihab told The Associated Press that the factions will jointly make a formal announcement later on Sunday.
Shihab says a longer cease-fire will be conditional on Israel withdrawing fromthe troops it sent into the strip two weeks ago. He says the militants will also demand that Israel open into Gaza.
Today is the first day of the cease fire in Gaza; a truce declared unilaterally by Isreal yesterday while some Hamas leaders were saying Hamas would fight to the last drop of blood.
Our previous report:
Day One of Gaza Cease Fire Punctuated by Rockets, Small Arms