Gunshots were fired from Syria at a car in the North on Sunday evening, the second incident of cross-border violence since the start of Operation Cast lead a little over two weeks ago.
From The Jerusalem Post
The IDF said the car was carrying civilians and no one was hurt, though the vehicle suffered some damage. The shots were seemingly aimed at Israeli soldiers doing engineering work along the border.
The army assessed that the Syrian army was not involved in the incident. More likely, it believes Palestinian terrorists fired the shots to protest Israel’s offensive in the Gaza Strip and cause tensions on a second front.
Shortly after the incident, Israel filed a complaint with UNDOF, the UN observer agency in Syria.
In another cross-border attack last Thursday, two people in a were lightly wounded when three Katyusha rockets slammed into the northern city of Nahariya. Shortly after the rocket strikes, Hizbullah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah said that his organization had no part in the attack.
At the cabinet meeting on Sunday, Shin Bet chief Yuval Diskin warned ministers that while Syria and Hizbullah had so far refrained from entering the fight and launching attacks on Israel while it was distracted with its operation in the Gaza Strip, Iran was hard to push them into action.
Yaakov Katz and AP contributed to this report.